Oh just look what we’re plotting and planning for 2017 as we release our new layout! Old hands will spot some new areas, some unexpected moves, and some old favourites back to charm us all once again. Underpinned by the Tribal Tournament, the most bonkers competition in the land, we’ll be taking you all on the most unique expedition of mischief and mayhem, to lands full of magical midnight feasts, curious creatures, raucous pillow fights, hidden retreats, top notch food, drink and boutique camping options and breathtaking beauty.
Here’s a little slice of what’s in store..
The glorious lakeside Silver Screen glade is a large-scale area dedicated to all things cinematic. Recreate famous dance scenes from favourite musicals, join a musical chorus line and become extras in a Just So epic production. Expect marvellous music, theatre dance and circus all themed around the big screen. Bring a blanket while night falls to the beautiful outdoor cinema here and snuggle up to watch the best silent movies and family classics together.
Inquisitive family explorers can discover the new Forgotten Courtyard. Tucked away in the ruins of the Old Tenants’ Hall is Rode’s beautiful Italian Garden. Expect to stretch your knowledge of the world around you and take part in workshops, provocations, debates and talks. Experience soundscapes and spoken word events here against the backdrop of the beautiful fountain, Italian cypress and olive trees.
Head to the new covered Social Barn for a completely crackers celebration of fodder. Located next to The Social (with its incredible array of artisan food and drink) expect Famous Five picnics, anarchic food fights, barmy dinner parties, odd ingredients, a colouring cafe and midnight feasts plus The Great Just So Bake Off.
Back by popular demand for 2017 is Away With The Fairies – deep within The Spellbound Forest find a secret fairyland. See if you can spy some fairies making mischief up in the trees and meet the Fairy Queen.
Together with these new areas, family festivalgoers can also:
- Head to Peekaboo for the best arts for the tiniest visitors (an entire area of innovative performances, activities and right royal facilities for 0-4s).
- Step into the extraordinary Spellbound Forest for woodland, nature and bush crafts, den building, tree climbing, campfire tales, music and songs as dusk falls and the forest magic really begins. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for a very special celebration campfire.
- Experience the very best new outdoor shows for families in the magical Woodland Theatre.
- Adventure into Tales of Animalia to encounter lands, creatures and characters beyond your wildest dreams from the strange imaginations of our friends The Fabularium.
- Dance like wild things to the outstanding line-up on the Footlights stage and in Jitterbug
- Head to the eccentric Village Green to meet some of the UK’s favourite children’s authors sharing the best new books out this year, a glorious Games Tent and special Just So Post Office – send a letter to a new pen pal at Just So Brasil.
- Take part in the Tribal Tournament – the Fox, Frog, Owl, Fish, Stag and Lion tribes will compete in ridiculous games, challenges and all manner of unexpected shenanigans. Toddler jousting or pillow fighting anyone? Find your tribe on festival Sunday and take part in the Tribal Parade, a Just So highlight.
- Relax at The High Seas. On the Left Bank of the stunning Rode Pool lake enjoy family yoga, tai chi, Indian head massage, reiki and take a rowing boat out on to the tranquil expanse of water.
- Contemplate the universe at The Observatory with star gazing, moon landings, space age theatre and lantern making.
- Experience an enhanced boutique camping area in yurts, bell tents, tipis and the addition of vintage tents for 2017.
Just So is set in woodland clearings, rolling parkland, arboreal amphitheatres and lakeside spots in the Rode Hall Estate, Cheshire, one of the most stunning landscapes in the UK, with limited public access the rest of the year.